Securing your guns inside your home is of the utmost importance to protect yourself and your family. Allow me to start off by saying that there are some excellent gun safes in the budget realm. In this guide, I share the five best mid-range gun safes currently on the market. You’ll find fireproof, under-bed, in-wall, and quick-access options below.
For long gun owners, I have some real treats for you in this guide that’ll surely satisfy your needs. For handgun owners, you’ll find a solid mix of options to take care of all your needs. Let’s get started with an overview of the safes in the chart below that lists all the most important specs to consider.
Once you have the chance to go over the specs, be sure to continue on to the reviews of each safe. In the individual reviews, I list the most important pros & cons for you to consider before making your final decision.
Top 5 Mid-Range Gun Safes
|#1) Steelwater Gun Safes 2-Hour Fireproof Office & Document Safe||
|#2) V-Line Closet Vault II In-Wall Firearms & Valuables Quick Access Safe||
|#3) MonsterVault Low Profile Underbed Safe||
|#4) SecureIt Agile Ultralight Gun Safe: Model 40||
|#5) BARSKA 7.87 Cu Ft Digital Keypad Rifle Safe||
Best Mid-Range Gun Safe Reviews
All five of these safes deliver great value for the money, and all of them have features typically found on safes that cost a lot more. The good news is a couple of these safes are built in the USA, and all of these brands manufacture quality safes that get the job done.
Before we get started with the reviews below, take a second to consider which types of guns/accessories you plan to store and the dimensions in the chart above. This will give you the clearest picture of which safes suit your needs. Plus, it’s important to consider the type of safe you like the most.
#1) Steelwater Gun Safes SW-610C 2-Hour Fireproof Office & Document Safe
Steelwater is one of my favorite safe companies for ultimate security. Of the five safes in this guide, this safe is the most secure for storing more than just your guns. Additionally, it’s the only safe that’s fireproof, and Steelwater also happens to be one of the most reliable fireproof gun safe manufacturers.
Steelwater manufactures a range of fireproof rifle safes, though, those safes cost a good chunk more than this document safe. However, if you want to secure your handguns, jewelry, important documents, and other valuables, this is the #1 choice in this guide.
The combination dial is good for folks with children in the home who want to skip over gun safes that are easy to pick or pry open (see the best pistol safes for home defense for more options). In addition to the combo lock, the 1″ solid steel locking bolts do an excellent job of protecting against pry attacks, and the 4″ composite door is the thickest door in this guide. Finally, there’s a single 1/2″ pre-drilled anchor hole, and the fact that this safe weighs 195 lbs means an average person isn’t running off with it.
- The heaviest and most secure safe of the five in this guide
- 2-hour fireproof rating at 1850°F
- Customizable/removable interior shelving and organization
- 1.5 cu ft interior to store your handguns, ammo, and valuables
- Solid, not hollow, 1″ steel locking bolts
- Extra thick 4″ door
- The door swings a full 180º
- Pre-drilled anchor hole for easy mounting
- The slowest access of the five safes
- Not specifically made to hold handguns
- Requires a dehumidifier or desiccant pack to avoid moisture buildup
#2) V-Line 51653-S IVY Closet Vault II In-Wall Firearms & Valuables Quick Access Safe
Now, this is the coolest safe in my guide for folks who are on the hunt for an in-wall gun safe. Without much modification, the Closet Vault II mounts neatly between 2×4 studs 16″ on center. However, it’s very important to consider that this safe does protrude 2″ for added room inside the safe. Before choosing this safe, know that it does not sit flush with your wall.
Despite that potential drawback for some, this is an excellent safe for a long gun, handgun, and ammunition storage. One of my favorite features is the Simplex push-button mechanical lock with no backup key access. For families with children and people who want to avoid buying a safe with an easily pickable lock, it doesn’t get much better than a mechanical Simplex lock for quick, reliable access.
Once you mount the safe, you simply program the Simplex lock with your code, and you’re ready to go at any moment. Lastly, there’s absolutely no need to rely on battery power, which is one of the greatest advantages of investing in a gun safe with a Simplex lock.
- Program up to 1,081 possible combinations
- California DOJ approved
- Made in the USA
- Secure 3-point locking system with a 3/8″ brass deadbolt and 2 steel locking rods
- 50% more storage capacity than flush in-wall gun safes
- No override key locks that are susceptible to being picked
- Customizable internal organization with a pegboard door panel and the option to add pistol hangers
- Ample room for multiple long guns w/ accessories, e.g., holds 4 AR-15s
- You might prefer an in-wall safe that sits flush to hide it
- A more complicated installation
- Not the most secure safe in this guide
#3) MonsterVault Low Profile Underbed Safe
MonsterVault’s Low Profile under-bed gun safe is easily one of my favorites on the market. This model blends security with convenience quite well and gives you quick access to your firearms. Compared to other under-bed models that don’t sport a pull-out drawer, the MonsterVault allows you to see all of your firearms at once to quickly grab your weapon of choice in any situation.
At only 6″ tall, this is one of the lowest profile models currently available, which is great for folks who have limited clearance. Inside the drawer, there’s plenty of room to store an array of long guns, pistols, and ammo. You may even find that you like to use this safe to hide away some of your valuables.
In total, you get 2.32 cubic feet. Several final highlights of the Low Profile safe are the 7-year warranty, silent mode to access your firearms without annoying beeping sounds, and it’s now made in the USA.
- Made in the USA and backed by a 7-year warranty
- Silent keypad mode for stealthier access unlike a lot of safes on the market that don’t have the option to mute beeping sounds
- Pre-drilled mounting holes to secure it beneath your bed
- Too heavy for most people to grab-and-go at 110 lbs
- Easily programmable with 3 to 8-digit codes for enhanced security
- An excellent and knowledgeable customer service team
- Spacious enough to fit multiple long guns along with handguns and ammo
- The drawer needs just 5.5″ of clearance
- Pricier than similar safes sold by other companies
- The backup keyhole is prone to pick attacks
#4) SecureIt FB-40KD-06 Agile Ultralight Gun Safe: Model 40
If you’re serious about protecting your home & family and want a quick-access long gun safe, this is the best model in this article. Additionally, if you plan to stack this safe on top of another or install it in a raised position, the keypad position allows you to access the safe more quickly. Considering its modular design, there are a ton of installation options.
Another big advantage of this safe is the internal organization. With the Agile Ultralight 40, you have the ability to easily grab the rifle or shotgun of your choosing without touching your other guns. The louvered back panel allows for straight-line access & storage along with the 6 upper cradles to neatly store your long guns.
Overall, SecureIt’s CradleGrid Technology is some of the most amazing I’ve seen for making every square inch inside your safe count. The CradleGrid tech allows you to make adjustments for accessories and varying barrel lengths quickly while securing each gun in a designated slot. Plus, you have the option to secure shelving anywhere on the louvered back panel to hold additional accessories and ammunition.
- The best internal organization for long guns of the five safes in this guide
- Holds up to six long guns with the option to connect additional shelving
- The CradleGrid tech ensures quick access to any gun without interference
- Pre-drilled mounting holes to secure it beneath your bed
- Lightweight for easy moving and installation
- The modular design allows for personalized installations with other safes and cabinets
- Includes 6 upper cradles with removable bungees and 3 stock bases for 6 guns
- It’s more of a very secure gun cabinet than a high-security gun safe
- Requires assembly upon arrival
- Cannot be installed upside down for people who want the keypad at the top of the safe
#5) BARSKA AX13328 7.87 Cu Ft Digital Keypad Rifle Safe
My final pick is a long gun safe manufactured by one of my favorite budget brands. Compared to more expensive brands, you get a lot of safe for the money when you invest in a Barska model. One of my favorite features in Barska long gun safes is the lockable top compartment for storing ammunition, valuables, and additional handguns.
The reason I like the lockbox is that it adds an additional layer of security to protect against unintentional shootings for families with children. Having said that, there’s very little chance that anyone is getting past the 3-point steel deadbolt locking system without using extreme force. In reality, the only weak point in this safe is the override keyhole, which I really wish Barska had skipped.
Inside the safe, there’s enough room to store up to 14 rifles, though, depending on your collection and accessories, that’s definitely the absolute max. At a minimum, 6 rifles and shotguns should neatly fit into the safe using the internal rack. On the back of the door, you’ll find a pistol rack to hang a couple of handguns for quick access. All things considered, this is one of the largest secure long gun safes you’ll find for the money.
- One of the most secure gun safes in this guide with three locking bolts
- An internal lockbox for an additional layer of security and to store ammo
- Quick-access keypad with the option to program up to 2 codes
- 1-year limited warranty
- Features silent mode to mute keypad beeping sounds
- Pre-drilled holes with included mounting hardware
- Removable rifle rack
- The internal rifle rack definitely isn’t on par with SecureIt’s CradleGrid
- The override keyhole
These are currently the best mid-range gun safes, and they give you more than enough variety to suit your needs. Before making your final decision, be sure to consider whether you need or want a fireproof gun safe.
The reason most gun safe manufacturers don’t sell fireproof models is due to moisture buildup inside the safe. While this problem is easy to manage with a dehumidifier or desiccant, it is something to consider if you prefer to skip that problem altogether.
Finally, always consider the dimensions and placement of a safe to ensure it fits neatly in your space and properly secures your firearms.